Sunday, October 6, 2013

Montmartre.

Paris is huge. There is so much to see, and I feel like I'm racing against time to partake in all its goodness.

But I just keep coming back to Montmartre.






Montmartre is that place you picture when someone tells you to think of Paris. Cobblestone streets, old Bohemian-style apartments, cafes on every corner. Romantic walkways, ancient churches, small vineyards that have been there for centuries. It's no wonder Montmartre was the home and inspiration to dozens of famous artists and literary legends.

This cafe, La Maison Rose, was a favorite of Pablo Picasso and Gloria Stein.







This is the famed Sacré Cœur Basilica (Sacred Heart Basilica), situated on the highest point in Paris. Rebuilt in the late 1800's, this beautiful edifice has been consecrated by Popes and visited by millions. They discourage photos, but for only 2 euros you can buy an imprinted coin from one of the various machines that dot the interior!






Unfortunately, Montmartre is a popular tourist destination [and no, I do not consider myself a tourist]. They're loud, walk incredibly slow, and many have absolutely no idea how significant this area is to the history of the humanities.
 

Nevertheless, I keep coming back. I can't stop exploring, observing, and loving. And if you visit me, I just might share it with you.

[don't mind the sarcastic face.]

No comments:

Post a Comment